Linus...Curating

I love to read and I blog about it. http://www.linussblanket.com

Master of Love

Master of Love - Catherine LaRoche Master of Love is an engaging read featuring characters that are well-drawn and easy to like. The biggest impediment to my enjoyment of this novel was Dom’s insecurity about his intelligence. LaRoche gives further insight about just why he was so touchy about it, but that part still felt a little flat. It seems that a man of his time and rank would have been comfortable about just about any aspect of himself. Pushing that out of mind, I enjoyed the secondary characters and subplots, murder attempts, and general drama and shenanigans on the way to the inevitable and ultimate hook-up. LaRoche does a fine job of transporting readers back in time, and illustrating how difficult it was for a woman to maintain a household without the help of a man. Callista eventually gets the help of a powerful man, but it’s offered to her via marriage or her becoming a mistress. Had she not had that help, her life would have taken a severely different turn. I also loved that books were a prominent focus in this charming historical romance. Viva la bluestocking! Just one thing, though, this title is only being released as an e-book so far. Recommended.

Pain, Parties, Work: Sylvia Plath in New York, Summer 1953